Thursday, September 3, 2015

Visceral Response


There are many things I have come across that stupefy me. One of them that ceases to stupefy me is nature. I have an initial stupefy when I first gaze over a landscape and look in awe and it feels almost like unreality. Then as my mind wanders at the thought of the creation I am stupefied again in not being able to comprehend as to how it even began. Though stupefying, peace resonates within me as I am blessed to share that significant moment and experience. 

I am also stupefied by man, at what they are able to create or what they are able to do. When things are created or acts performed it can stupefy me in two ways. First way,  is when the thing created or act performed is so incredulous that the very first initial thought to cross my mind is how I would never be able to do that, it is almost like watching unreality again. The second way is when I am stupefied with inspiration and it feels me with energy to want to be able to do our create that thing.

I love this picture, because it stupefies me in both ways. Being able to capture the amount of beauty in nature at this place is an impossible task. I am not even able to fit the magnification within the frame.  Secondly, it stupefies me that I am able to not only work in this environment, but what I learning to be able to create.


Skagway, Alaska.
In order to experience the image fully you will have to unfortunately travel to Alaska,  but you can at least have a better online experience by clicking on the image. 


The color has value that brings light to the image and creates excitement and almost gives you the feel of you don't know where you want to look first. I think the contrast in the different intensities of green help move you eye along the image at fist glance. Then my eye leads to the shape of the motorcar with the site of the approaching mountain behind it, creating slight space giving 3-D form. Then the ranges behind that mountain give even a little more depth and makes the initial mountain range slight 3-D feel as well. The skyline is organic and highlighted as the sunsets. The skyline is also noncontinuous and pulls your eye again through the whole frame. The ties give and show the pattern and rhythm of the work that goes on the railroad, repetitive and steady. Because there is negative space around the bridge it also shows slight 3-D. The shadows in the south end of river provide the slightest texture in the water. Your eyes will eventually, if they haven't already find the curve and follow it up into the left side of the mountain, giving the image movement, like the motorcar will begin to ascend at any moment to return to work before all light is lost. The shadow adds for the hint of human touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment