Thursday, November 19, 2015

A flash back at....Typography

I know this post isn't relevant to the discussion now but it is a good review or look at typography out in the real world. Although we really are surrounded by typography whenever you go digitally speaking.

Before this class I never really noticed the skill or art that exists within typography, especially when it comes to being written by hand. I noticed though a few weeks back that where written typography cultural still largely exists is in coffee shops.

This is Perks, a local coffee shop in St. George and one of the few that seems to exist here, which is a hard concept to comprehend after having lived in Washington State for a couple of years.

Amy Bar is a barista at Perks and I watched her do this lunch menu while I did some homework and of course enjoyed some coffee. I wish I would have realized she was doing this sooner so I could have watched a little closer. It had taken her about an hour and a half to complete the menu. 

If you look closely, most the typography seems to be sans-serif, however some tips to certain letters appear to have slight serifs, but this could be due to the amount of pressure applied when writing.

If I was to pick classify the type of typography I would choose casual sans-serif. As for the coffee menu I would classify it under humanistic sans-serif

Bar said she had been doing typography for a while, but still isn't satisfied. 

Handwritten typography is probably a common skill among baristas and even a sought out one, because typography had to the texture within the scene of a coffee shop. The consistency within handwritten typography is what amazes me the most. 

Typography is probably also popular in local sandwich shops and grab-n-go restaurants and really can make or break a business. If the typography is hard to read, jumbled, or unorganized it can have a negative effect on customers not wanting to take the time to decode the menu. But if it is does right typography can add a lot of originality to a place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment