Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Communication Artifact: LUVA Packaging

I think it is natural as human to want a little bit of everything and when it comes to design. I as a designer, particularly in my younger years as I haven't attempted to design much since then, was horsey designer. I put everything into what I was doing because that is what I wanted to do without any rhyme or reason. This class and gestalt hasn't prohibited my creativity at all with rules or law, but rather made me become effective in what I wanted to communicate visually, which helps get my message subconsciously to my targeted audience. 

Evolution 




 Design 

                                                      

I played around with a few idea with the law of closure trying to put the snowflake within a the frame of the heart, playing to the objective of winter and the existence of love outdoors in winter with the help of the product. I played further into the law of closure by adding a heart as the center piece of the snowflake, which adds some continuity in this design to have a heart within a a heart and adds the idea of winter love a little more prominent. 

The Box 

We decided to on keep a little more continuity in our decided design and play within our logo. 

The diagonals that make up the frame helps move your eye around it and creates the heart with the law of closure. The diagonals that also make up the front design drag your eye across the front surface where more continuity is found with a heart within the heart. The designs of the heart themselves add a touch of contrast with the outside frame made with broken straight lines and the inside one continuous curvy line. I think it adds a feminine touch to the design for our targeted audience. 

The heart that sits within the frame is transparent so the product can be seen. The logo is placed in the center for recognition and continues to have continuity with the frame emulating the logo seen.

The colors don't quite match the ones picked from our style guide, but my colored pencils don't let me pick pantone codes, so they were close enough. The gradient of the colors is meant to psychologically create the idea of a winter sunset. Beginning with a dark cold ground and warming into the subtle colors of a winter sunset with a frosty top to finish. The gradient of the color adds texture to the box and continuity as it wraps around the whole box, also giving the design harmony and balance.   

Diagonals continue to play a role as they not only bring your eye across the front design, but make you pick of the box and explore what is on the other sides.


The back design is where the sunset theme in the color becomes apparent as it is filled with either an animation or physical photograph. The leafless trees add texture to the frame and continues to paint to the psychology of winter and the love seen as the couple continues to walk into the graphic vector of the sunset. A motion vector is also implied with the backs of the animations toward the onlooker of the box. The gestalt principle of  figure to ground relation is seen a little in the animation version, but would be seen more if the photo was realistic as the figures would become silhouettes and instead of animated figures. The snow adds texture to the scene and motion as I left negative space at the top of the scene to create the illusion that the snow is falling from the night sky. More texture would be present with the addition of Christmas lights. The lights could compliment the style guide or I think a color outside could be added not to distract from our theme and add a nice hint of contrast to the design. 

If the scene stays animated I will use our more playful font of  Amatic Subheaders, to continue the balance and harmony of an  animated theme. But if we use physical photo I would use our more realistic font of Raleway Logo to keep reality with the photo. 

I continue to take advantage of the diagonal movement of the package on the sides as I write the slogan of our product there. I start the font smaller at the top and continue to increase the size as it moves toward the bottom of the package. I do this for two reasons, one it makes readability easier, but it also continues to create more movement. I keep the font Raleway Logo here, because I think compliments the logo font, creating balance and harmony. I tried to let the package speak for the product by not making it horsey with too many words. I think the sides of the packages help really drive the objective theme of the product home as the customer reads the slogan and then tries out the product with the holes provided to do so.

I am proud of the psychological experience I was able to paint on the surface of the package and help build physiological experience by allowing the product to be tried.

The experience of this creation was enjoyable as I was able to bounce ideas off of my group and guided by design and Gestalt principles to help give me rhyme, reason and understanding to design and to a real world product. Maybe it is a first step to a future career in design, regardless I am excited with my future encounters with design.

Side note: Sorry for the loud structure of this blog post and being quiet, neat, clean and continuous. I wrestled with blogger to save the changes I continually tried to  make, but it wouldn't keep them for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. Blogger isn't very quiet to begin with. I appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete